Friday, June 1, 2007

Ms Cori Lou

What’s new with Cori? Well, her, Bryson and I (Aaron was in Ohio) went to her ceremony on May 24th for her Duke TIP award. The state ceremony was held at Texas A&M University in College Station. There was another ceremony held at Duke University for the national award but we only went to the one in Texas. They gave her both medals there. It was really nice. Silly me had the camera in my hand before we left the house and then set it in our entryway and forgot it at the last second. So we bought a cheesy disposable camera on the way with a slight zoom. We’ll see how the pictures come out; keep your fingers crossed. She was only one of the two people in her school to be recognized nationally for the award. Her boyfriend (yes boyfriend, we’ll get to that later), won for the state level. So she brags to him that she beat him, but he still has to help her in math.

That’s what else is new, Cori has a boyfriend. Believe it or not, Aaron handles these things so much better than I. She had came home and told me on April 30th, I remember because it was mom’s birthday and she was in town. Cori was so excited! I was trying to act all cool. But later I freaked, luckily I had my mom and Aaron both to calm me down. We are so fortunate that Cori shares a lot with us (not everything I am sure), so I tried not to make a big deal of it. It also helps that I know his mom; she used to work at the same company as I did.

Cori flew on Memorial weekend to visit family in Arkansas. She loves to fly and feel independent and mature, it’s still a little scary for us but we are very proud of her. There was a boy, Luke, who she always played with who lives next door to her grandparents. Well, apparently that boy has changed a lot and he says Cori has changed a lot too, uh-oh. So she got his phone number and they’ve been texting ever since. Her boyfriend, Matt, does not have a cell phone so what’s a girl to do?

Cori just went to her orthodontist appointment and they said she should be getting her braces off this summer, six months early! She is so thrilled that they will be off before school starts. What a great first day of school that will be. No braces and at the top of the middle school food chain as an eighth grader. Poor girl though, they tightened her wires so much that her whole mouth is sore. She ate yogurt last night for dinner and a donut for breakfast this morning. We had to downgrade her to creamy peanut butter from her favorite crunchy. I had volunteered to make her a pb&j last night and cut the crust off so it would be extra soft and she was still scared it would hurt. Oh well, a few days of pain to get them off early is worth it, I would assume anyway, she is still undecided.

1 comment:

Emma/Peyton/Burke said...

Message from Burke:
Yeah Cori!! Great Job. We all hope you had a good birthday with lots of fun. Emma and Peyton were at their mother's on your birthday so they couldn't have them call you. You are a smart girl, so don't waste your time with icky boys. ;-)

Message from Peyton:
Happy birthday Cori, I hope you had a good time. I hope you liked your present we gave you. I love you and see you when your birthday is here.

Message from Emma:
Cori Happy Birthday you are real cool. I miss you, I love you, next summer you are staying for a year.